04.07.2012

One day more

I can't beleive it: it feels like yesterday that we started, more than 800nm to go and now the last day hast started. We're on position 18°14,6'N and 023°57,5'W (at 15:20 UTC) and sailed 744,2nm since we left Las Palmas. And the best thing: we really sailed all the time. We had the motor running at total of 2,3 hrs, most of it for changing the sails. So we'll need it once more to take the Parasailor-Spinnaker down and the Gennua up to sail us the last bit to the harbour. And then of course we enter the harbour of Mindelo with the engine. The expected arrival time (ETA) is around 8 a.m. UTC. The wind is said to get even less, so we might a bit later, but hopefully berfore noon tomorrow. The wind is very little now (average of 8-10 knots), but we're still travelling at 4-5 knots speed. Tonight during my shift we overtook another sailor. I don't know what it was, I just saw the tri-colour light in the mast head, which means it must have been a sailor. AS I saw his green light most of the time (and sometimes the white) he was obviously travelling the same direction. About 4hrs later I saw his red light, so he went behind us, had changed direction a bit. Marcus said I should have turned the radio on as these guys usually want to talk if you meet out in the middle of nowehere. Should I have asked him if everything is ok because he was so much slower? ;-) I guess he did not have a Spinnaker up. That's the only boat we've met on the whole trip since we left south of Gran Canaria (except for one fisher in the first night). According to the AIS system the closest distance to a boat which we never saw was about 10nm
My night shift was very beautiful and relaxing. The waves are very small now, we're travelling very calm. So the sound of the sparkling water is very soothing and I thought of fairy tales with the fool mooen out and some clouds. It looked very mysterious. Two flying fish again committed suicide tonight. Unfortunately we did not hear them, otherwise we would have saved their lives. But we found them dead. While enjoying the calm ocean I first listened to beautiful music like "Sailing" and "More than a feeling", later I did the usual to keep me awake: sing. No one can hear me, that's great, so I can practice my musical singing ;-) The other sailor must have been at least a nautical mile away so he could not have heard me either. Our shifts get longer and longer. I enjoed the night and sometimes doesd off a bit outside, Marcus was able to sleep over 5 hrs in the bed. I slept most of the day outside today, just relaxing. The sea is too calm for dolphins to stop by.
I just changed the falgs: took the spanish flag down and the flag for Cap Verde and the yellow flag (which means we still have to register in Cape Verde)up. I guess the next entry will be from Mindelo. Enjoy your wednesday!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 Kommentare:

  1. I got your postcard, thanks! What a good idea to have produced these things...looks nice.
    I had to laugh at the fish "committing suicide"...sad, but a funny way to put it, when you think about it! I guess they'd rather ride with you than swim... :-(
    I'm so glad you're enjoying the solitude and are excited about Mindelo. I will look it up on the map. SING SING SING! Only God can hear you!
    xxx me

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thanks, Z! Your postcard arrived quite fast. It's one of three types, you will receiv one of all (if I remember what I sent ;-).

    AntwortenLöschen